Fields of Study
Graduated from Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine in 1987, Prof. Dr. Canan Aykut Bingöl received her specialization in Neurology from Marmara University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neurology, in 1993. She also completed her minor specialization at Marmara University Health Sciences Institute in 1994.
Prof. Dr. Canan Aykut Bingöl, after serving as the Medical Director of Yeditepe University Hospitals and the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Yeditepe University, currently holds the position of Rector at Yeditepe University.
Throughout her career, Prof. Dr. Canan Aykut Bingol has received numerous awards for her scientific studies. In 1993, she was awarded the Brain Research Association First Prize. In 1995, she received the American Academy of Neurology Foreign Investigator Award. In 1995 and 1996, she was honored with the Marmara University Faculty of Medicine Academician Awards. In 1998, she was awarded at the National Neurology Congress.
Prof. Dr. Canan Aykut Bingöl is continuing her research in the field of epilepsy and has published numerous articles in international and national peer-reviewed journals. Her dedication to advancing the understanding of epilepsy and its treatment is commendable.
Award-winning Secientific Studies
- In 1993, Prof. Dr. Canan Aykut Bingöl received the Brain Research Association's First Prize for her study titled "The effect of nordihydroguaiaretic acid on prostaglandin E2, leukotriene C4, and morphological changes at different reperfusion times in the forebrain ischemia model in rats."
- In 1995, she was awarded the American Academy of Neurology Foreign Investigator Award for her study "The effects of insulin on lipid peroxidation, glutathione, and protein oxidation in reperfusion injury in rats."
- In 1996, she received the Marmara University Faculty of Medicine Academician Award.
- In 1998, she was honored with the Pfizer Verbal Papers First Prize at the National Neurology Congress for her study on "glia reorganization in the epilepsy microdysgenesis model."
Articles Published in International Refereed Journals
- Karadeli HH, Aktekin B, Yilmaz B, Kilis E, Uzar E, Acı A, Bingol CA. Effects of melatonin on behavioral changes of neonatal rats in a model of cortical dysplasia. European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences 2013;17(15):2080-2084.
- Betul Ozdilek, Silk Midi, Kadriye Agan, Canan Aykut Bingol. Episodes of status epilepticus in young adults: Etiologic factors, subtypes, and outcomes. Epilepsy & Behavior 2013; 27 (2): 351–354
- Türe U, Harput VA, Kaya AH, Baimedi P, Fırat Z, Türe H, Bingöl CA. The paramedian supracerebellar-transtentorial approach to the entire length of the mediobasal temporal region: anatomical and clinical study. J Neurosurg 2012 Apr;116(4):773-91.
- Betul Ozdilek, Kadriye Agan, Ipek Midi, Canan Aykut Bingol, Onder Us. Electroencephalographic response to intravenous diazepam during status epilepticus. Neurology, Psychiatry And Brain Research 2011;17: 71–74
- Cihangiroğlu M, Çitçi B, Kılıçkesmez O, Fırat Z, Karlıkaya G, Uluğ AM, Bingöl CA, Kovanlıkaya I. The utility of high b-value DWI in evaluation of ischemic stroke at 3T. European J Radiology European J Radiology, 2011;78:75-81
- Kovanlıkaya I, Fırat Z, Kovanlıkaya A, Uluğ A, Cihangiroğlu M, John M, Bingöl CA, Ture U. Assesment of the corticospinal tract alterations before and after resection of brainstem lesions using diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and tractography at 3T. European J Radiology 2011;77:383-391.
- Agan K, Afsar N, Midi I, Us Ö, Aktan S, Aykut-Bingöl C. Predictors of refractoriness in a Turkish Status Epilepticus Data Bank. Epilepsy Behav 2009;14(4):651-4.
- Ture H, Sayin M, Karlikaya G, Bingol CA, Aykaç B, Ture U. The analgesic effect of gabapentin as a prophylactic anticonvulsant drug on postcraniotomy pain: A prospective randomized study. Anesth Analg 2009; 109;5:1625-1631.
- Citçi B, Karlıkaya G, Kahriman A, Karadeli HH; Aykut Bingol C, The role of cerebrospinal fluid thyroid autoantibodies in the diagnosis of Hashimoto Encepholopathy: Case report review of the literature. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci 2009;29(5):1310-4.
- Karlikaya G, Citci B, Aykut Bingöl C, Naderi S. Electrodiagnostic Evaluation in Cervical Spondylothic Myelopathy. World Spine Journal 3(2):70-75, 2008.
- Aykut-Bingol C, Tuncer N, Kaya H, Ekicioglu G. Glycine transporter-1 expression in the rat model of cortical dysplasia. Neurol Res. 2008 Nov;30(9):910-4.
- Karlikaya G, Citçi B, Güçlü B, Türe H, Türe U, Bingol CA. Spinal Accessory Nerve Monitoring in Posterior Fossa Surgery. JClin Neurophysiol. 2008 Nov 6.
- Kaya D, Bingol CA. Significance of atypical triphasic waves for diagnosing nonconvulsive status epilepticus. Epilepsy Behav. 2007 Dec;11(4):567-77.
- Acar E, Aykut-Bingol C, Bingol H, Bro R, Yener B. Multiway analysis of epilepsy tensors. Bioinformatics. 2007 Jul 1;23(13):i10-8.
- Acar E, Bingol CA, Bingol H, Bro R, Yener B. Seizure recognition on epilepsy feature tensor. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:4273-6.
- Oflazoglu B, Us O, Somay G, Bingol CA, Beyaz EA. Isolated sural nerve neuropathies. J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2005 Dec;10(4):392-3.
- Afşar N., Kaya D, Aktan S, Aykut-Bingöl C. Stroke and Status Epilepticus: Stroke Type, Type of Status Epilepticus, and Prognosis. Seizure 2003, 12:23-27.
- İnce Günal D, Güleryüz M, Aykut-Bingöl C. Reversible valproate-induced choreiform movements. Seizure 2001, 11(3):205-206.
- Aykut-Bingol C, Spencer SS. Nontumoural Occipitotemporal Epilepsy: Localizing Findings and Surgical Outcome. Ann Neurol 1999; 46(6):894-900.
- Tekin S, Aykut-Bingöl C, Tanridag T, Aktan S. Antiglumatergic therapy in Alzheimer's disease- effects of lamotrigine. J Neural Transm 1998; 105:295-303.
- Aykut-Bingöl C, Bronen RA, Kim JH, Spencer DD, Spencer SS. Surgical outcome in occipital lobe epilepsy: Implications for pathophysiology. Ann Neurol 1998; 44:60-69.
- Aykut-Bingöl C, Tekin S, İnce D, Aktan S. Reversible MRI lesions after seizures. Seizure 1997; 6(3):327-329.
- Tekin S, Aykut-Bingöl C, Aktan S. Case of intracranial vertebral artery dissection in young age. Pediatric Neurology 1997; 16(1):67-70.
- Aykut-Bingöl C, Arman A, Tokol O, Afşar N, Aktan S. Pulse methylprednisolone therapy in Landau-Kleffner syndrome. J. Epilepsy 1996; 9: 2.
- Tekin S, Aykut C, Özgün S, Aktan S. The role of autoimmunity in vascular dementia. Dementia 1996; 7: 91-94.
- Batirel HF, Aktan S, Aykut C, Yegen C, Coşkun T. The effect of aqueous garlic extract on the levels of arachidonic acid metabolites (leukotriene C4 and prostaglandin E2) in rat forebrain after ischemia reperfusion injury. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids 1996, 54(4): 289-292.
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Erzen C. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in three patients with Tolosa-Hunt syndrome. European Neurology 1993; 33: 393-396.
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Yegen B C, Okar I, Ozkutlu U, Ercan S. The effect of nordihydroguaiaretic acid on leukotriene C4 and prostaglandin E2 production following different reperfusion periods in rat brain after forebrain ischemia correlated with morphological changes. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids. 1993, 49: 633-641.
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Oktay S, Yegen BC Ercan S. Nicardipine reduces the levels of leukotrienes C4 and prostaglandin E2, following different ischemic periods in rat brain tissue. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids. 1992, 45: 223-226.
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Yegen B C, Ozkutlu U, Okar I, Ercan S. Prostaglandin E2 and leukotriene C4 levels following different reperfusion periods in rat brain correlated with morphological changes. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids. 1992, 46: 287-290.
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Ercan S. Leukotriene C4 and prostaglandin E2 activities in the serum and cereprospinal fluid during acute cerebral ischemia.Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids. 1991, 43: 247.
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Oktay S, Yegen B, Keleş E, Aykac I, Ercan S. The alteration of leukotriene C4 and prostaglandin E2 levels following different ischemic periods in rat brain tissue. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids 1991, 42: 67-71.
Articles Published in National Refereed Journals
- Çalışkan SA, Kansu T, Öztürk Ş, Araç N, Balkan S, Bora İ, Aykut Bingöl C, Can U, Deymeer F, Gedizlioğlu M, Gözkçil Z, Karasoy H, Vural O, Zorlu Y. Turkey Neurology Specialization Qualification Examinations: 2004-2008. Turkish Journal of Neurology 2008; 14(6):422-429.
- Beyza Çitçi, Geysu Karlıkaya, Canan Aykut Bingöl, Sedat Dalbayrak, Sait Naderi. A Case Report of Bilateral Peroneal Neuropathy After Weight Loss. Turkish Journal of Neurosurgery, 2008; 18(1):22-25.
- Karlıkaya G, Hamamcı A, Neyzi N, Afşar N, Cihangiroğlu M, Tanrıdağ O, Aykut Bingöl C, Kovanlıkaya I. Functional MRI in determining tongue lateralization. Turkish Journal of Neurology 2007;13(1):27-32.
- Torun G, Midi İ, Ağan K, Biçer D, Aykut Bingöl C. Sexual dysfunctions in patients with focal epilepsy. Epilepsy 2007;13(1):17-20.
- Torun G, Midi İ, Ağan K, Zaimoğlu S, Aykut Bingöl C. Effects of vagal nerve stimulation on seizures, cognitive functions and mood. Epilepsy 2007;13(1):21-24.
- Karlıkaya G, Tanrıdağ T, Yüksel G, Afşar N, Tireli H, Aykut Bingöl C, Önder Us. Transcranial magnetic stimulation-preliminary study in the diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease. Turkish Journal of Neurology 2007;13(1):12-20.
- Torun G, Midi İ, Ağan K, Biçer D, Aykut Bingöl C. Depression and anxiety disorders in patients with focal epilepsy. Turkish Journal of Neurology 2006;12(6)439-445.
- Aykut Bingöl C What is epilepsy?. Pediatric Clinics, 2006; 1(2):15-21.
- Torun G, Midi İ, Ağan K, Tuncer N, Türe U, Kılıç T, Zaimoğlu S, Aykut Bingöl C. The effect of selective amygdalohippocampectomy on cognitive functions and memory in patients with mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Turkish Journal of Neurology 2005; 11(5):473-479.
- Midi İ, Ağan K, Aykut Bingöl C. Hot water epilepsy familial nad non familial case reports. Marmara Medical Journal 2005;18(3):131-134.
- Bilgin Ö, Midi İ, Agan K, Bez Y, Ekinci G, Aykut-Bingöl C. Epileptic Seizures in two patients with electrical injury. Epilepsy 2005;11(1):29-33.
- Aykut-Bingöl C. How to write a manuscript? Turkish Journal of Neurology 2003;9(3):22-26.
- Midi İ, Afşar N, Aykut-Bingöl C. Status Epilepticus. Journal of Intensive Care 2002
- Tekin S, Aykut-Bingöl C, Aktan S. Cervicocephalic artery dissection as a cause of stroke in young people. Journal of Cerebrovascular Diseases 1996; 2:55-61
- İnce-Günal D, Afşar N, Tekin S, Aykut C, Aktan S, Bekiroğlu N. Effects of monthly methylprednisolone treatment on the number of attacks and progression of the disease in multiple sclerosis (Evaluation of two-year results) Neuropsychiatry Agenda 1996; 1(1):35-40
- İnce D, Aktan S, Aykut C. Neurosarcoidosis: Sudden focal neurological findings and the importance of magnetic imaging method in diagnosis. Clinical Development 1994, 7(1): 2895-2897
- Afşar N, Aktan S, Aykut C. Risk factors and specific stroke types of cerebrovascular accident cases at Marmara Medical School Neurology Department. Marmara Medical Journal 1994, 7(1): 22-26
- Aykut C, Aktan S, Önder Us. Multiple cavernous angiomas located in cerebral hemispheres and the posterior fossa: A case report and review of the literature. Turkish Neurosurgery 1993, 3; 31-33.
- İnce D, Aktan S, Aykut C. Due to a case: Cocaine use in young cerebrovascular events and the importance of the type of cocaine used. Turkish Journal of Psychiatry 1992, 3(4): 291-294
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Us O, Erzen C. Clinical findings of patients with dolichoectatic basilar artery. Clinical Development, 1991, 4(11): 1571-1574
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Yazgan Y, Us O. Behavioral changes in caudate infarcts. Turkish Journal of Psychiatry 1991, 2(3): 197-199
- Aykut C, Aktan S, Özgün S. Multiple sclerosis: Clinical classification with evoked potentials and IgG oligoclonal band study. Journal of Medical Sciences Research 1991, 9(4): 275.
- Aktan S, Barlas-Ulusoy N, Pehlivanoglu O, Kullu S, Aykut C, Pehlivanoğlu E, Cem Kalaycı. Neurologic complications of vitamin E deficiency in acquired intestinal malabsorption. Hacettepe Medical Journal. 1991, 24(1-2): 39-43
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Keleş E. Lyme disease: Acute central nervous system involvement. Turkiye Klinikleri Journal of Medical Sciences. 1990, 10(6):536-539.
- Aktan S, Aykut C. Leukoariosis: Risk factors in etiopathogenesis. Marmara Medical Journal 1990, 3(4): 168-171
- Aktan S, Aykut C, Tughan G. The rare neurologic manifastations of acute hypoglycemia, dyskinesia and hemiplegia. Marmara Medical Journal 1990, 3(2): 89-91
- Turkish Epilepsy Association
- Turkish Neurology Association
- Turkish EEG-EMG Association
- European Epilepsy Academy (EUREPA)