Dietician and Specialist Clinical Psychologist Merve Öz is reminding that it becomes a little easier to gain weight during menopause, which is a very important period in women's lives, and She pointed out that changing hormone levels, physical activity changes, medical conditions, medication use, appetite changes or changes in your dietary needs can cause an increase in the belly area, especially during menopause. Dietician Öz gave suggestions for dealing with menopause belly.
Dietician Öz says that weight gain during menopause is a very typical and expected part of the transition process. Dietician, Specialist. Clinical Psychologist Merve Öz explained that although fat increases especially in the belly area, it should be remembered that not everyone gains weight in the abdominal area.
Is It Possible to Get Rid of the Menopause Belly?
Dietician Öz is saying that changing hormone levels, physical activity changes, medical conditions, medication use, appetite changes or changes in your dietary needs are effective with in the emergence of this result and she pointed out that during and after menopause weight gain in the belly area and also this situatiion will have various health risks as it is associated with abdominal obesity.
She explains that it is important to exercise, comply with a healthy nutrition program that meets personalized nutritional needs and manage stress in order to cope with menopause belly. Dietician Öz gave important information about the precautions that can be taken and what to do in this regard:
“Gaining Weight Becomes Easier with Increasing Age”
Yeditepe University Koşuyolu Hospital, Dietician and Specialist Clinical Psychologist Merve Öz said that the calorie need decreases with increasing age remindingly and stated that ; due to this reason, it may become easier to gain weight with age, even if there is no change in food intake and "While dieting to prevent weight gain creates a calorie deficit, the physical activity during with the diet will enable burning more calories "Thanks to the resulting calorie deficit, weight loss will be achieved throughout the body, including the abdomen," like she talked.
“Eat Healthy and Regularly”
Dietician. Öz listed the things that need to be taken into consideration in terms of nutrition, both during and after menopause:
Stay away from high-calorie foods: In order to have a healthy diet, you should first stay away from high-calorie foods and drinks with high fat and sugar content. Highly salty and processed foods should also not be consumed
Increase your water consumption: Water is one of the indispensable elements for both protecting our general health and maintaining weight control. It should be ensured that sufficient water is consumed during this period. This means; Water should be consumed at a rate of 30 ml per kilo. In a word, a 60 kg person should take care to drink 60 x 30 ml of water per day id est 1800 ml. Since coffee and tea cause oedema, their amount should be limited.
Focus on quality carbohydrates: Carbohydrate-dense foods such as pasta, rice, potatoes, pizza, and hamburgers should be eliminated from meals. Instead, carbohydrate needs should be met from quality carbohydrates such as einkorn bread, buckwheat bread, sourdough bread, and whole wheat bread.
Choose foods with high fiber content: Legume should be added to meals as they keep you full and have a high fiber content. However, 5 portions of vegetables and fruits should be consumed a day, including 2 portions of fruit and 3 portions of vegetables. In addition, consuming fish at least twice a week will help both maintain a healthy diet and control weight. Consuming kefir will also be beneficial for bowel health.
Do not overdo it with olive oil: Especially for vegetable dishes and salads, olive oil should be the chosen oil. However, olive oil should not be exaggerated with the idea that it is healthy. For salads, 1 dessertspoonful of olive oil per person will be sufficient.
Limit green tea consumption to 3 cups a day: If there is no obstacle to drinking it for health reasons, green tea will accelerate fat burning. However, drinking green tea in the evening may disturb your sleep. Therefore, be careful not to consume more than 3 cups of green tea and try to consume tea during daylight hours.
Increase the Calories You Expend with Exercise
Dietician Öz said that when the increase in physical activity is supported by a healthy nutrition program, a calorie deficit will occur and weight loss will be achieved throughout the body, including the abdomen and She gave the following information: “Exercise supports health at all ages. During menopause, exercise will help in losing belly fat. Doing exercises that strengthen the abdominal muscles, such as Pilates, can be preferred to tighten the abdomen and improve its appearance. You can also do physical activities such as walking, cycling, dancing, tennis, kick boxing and similar activities to increase the calories you burn. “You can use a pedometer or smart watch to check whether you have achieved the goals you have set and to stay motivated.”
Stress Increases the Release of Cortisol Hormone
Dietician Öz points out that cortisol the stress hormone increases the risk of fat accumulation in the abdominal area. Merve Öz pointed out that stress also plays an important role in eating habits. Yeditepe University Hospitals Specialist. Dietician and Specialist. Clinical Psychologist Merve Öz said, “For example, in stressful situations, eating speed increases and stress also triggers emotional hunger. "Emotional hunger can be explained as unnecessary eating to reveal positive emotions or suppress negative emotions," like speakingly and listed what needs to be done to manage stress as follows:
“A good sleep is one of the most important elements that will facilitate your stress management. In addition, it will be good to listen to relaxing music, do breathing exercises and get away from where you are when your stress increases too much. Exercise not only helps with weight control but also helps reduce stress by nourishing your soul. You can swim, walk, or do yoga or meditation. Also to reduce stress; Eat healthy, quit smoking, stay away from alcohol and addictive substances, reduce your caffeine intake. Perfectionism alone can be a source of stress. Therefore, first of all, set realistic goals for yourself and learn to say "no" to things you don't want. Plan your time and make time for yourself every day. Since providing pet care will also help reduce stress, you can also adopt a pet if possible. If you think you cannot manage your stress, you can get support from mental health experts. Working with a professional; “It can help you identify things in your life that you don't even realize are causing you stress and find healthy and effective ways to deal with them.”
- What Are the Benefits of Beets?
- "Is the Watermelon Diet Healthy?
- Ways to Boost Mental Resilience
- Frequently Asked Questions about Detox
- Boost Your Immunity Naturally
- Which Foods Should be Consumed Together?
- How Do You Approach a Child Who Is Reluctant to Go to School?
- Stop Blaming Yourself
- The Concern of Being a ‘’Good Mother’’ in Pregnancy
- It is Possible to Lose Weight by Dominating Your Brain
- Mom, Can I Sleep With You?
- 9 Points to Be Considered for a Healthy Ramadan Month!
- Emotional Eating May Be the Cause of Your Weight Gain
- The Healthiest Summer Fruits
- Shining Star of the Tables: Probiotics
- The Problem may be the Lack of Self-Confidence!
- Ways to Deal with Quarantine Weight
- Burnout Syndrome at Work Gains Weight
- Children Should Be Away From Fast Food Toy
- Children's Eating While Studying Prepares the Ground for Obesity
- Permeable Bowel Syndrome Can Prepare the Ground for Diseases
- Suggestions to Prevent Children from Gaining Weight While Still
- 8 Suggestions to Keep the Immune System Strong in Ramadan
- 8 Suggestions for Kids with Focus Problems
- It is also Possible to Lose Weight During the Holidays!
- Immune Enhancing Nutrients
- Is Co-Sleeping With the Child Right?
- Healthy New Year's Eve Table Suggestions
- Do not take unneeded calories to your body
- Suggestions to Increase Metabolic Rate…
- Vitamin E Benefits
- Nutrition Recommendations Before the Exam
- How to Feed Children in Summer?
- Is There a Nutritional Difference Between Sports to Increase BMI and Sports to Lose Weight?
- What Should You Do to Avoid Gaining Weight for the Holidays? Do Not Be a Victim of the Buffet
- Cancer and Nutrition
- Nutrition and Diet
- Healthy Diet
- Elderly Care
- Alkaline Nutrition
- 9 Tips to Prevent You from Gaining Weight While at Home
- 9 Suggestions to Fix Childrens Deteriorated Eating Habits
- Fibromyalgia May Be the Cause of Persistent Pain
- What to do from Iftar to Sahur for a Healthy Ramadan