It deals with the functioning and diseases of the internal glands responsible for hormone secretion in the Endocrinology Department of Yeditepe University Hospitals. In our faculty, in addition to outpatient treatment services within the Department of Internal Medicine, patient care and follow-up services are provided in inpatient services, and consultancy services are provided to branches. Our fields of diagnosis and treatment as Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases include diabetes (Diabetes Mellitus), thyroid gland diseases (goiter, hyper/hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer), obesity, metabolic syndrome, hypothalamus and pituitary gland diseases (growth hormone, prolactin, ACTH and cortisol, antidiuretic hormone diseases), adrenal gland diseases (adrenal insufficiency, Cushing's syndrome, Aldosterone hormone disorders), metabolic bone diseases (osteoporosis, osteomalacia, Paget's disease), hypertension, hyperlipidemia, hirsutism (hair growth), polycystic ovarian syndrome, testicular and ovarian dysfunctions (hypogonadism, sterility, sexual dysfunctions, sexual development disorders).
Within our department, all necessary biochemical dynamic tests and radiological examinations are performed for the further examination of hormones. In addition, pituitary diseases, and thyroid diseases, which require a multidisciplinary approach in their follow-up and treatment, are evaluated in councils held every week and attended by physicians from the relevant departments of surgery, pathology, radiology, radiation oncology, and nuclear medicine. Again, a hirsutism (hair growth) outpatient clinic is also established together with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology within the scope of our science.
Diagnosis and treatment areas:
● Diabetes mellitus,
● Thyroid gland diseases (goiter, hyper/hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer),
● Metabolic syndrome,
● Hypothalamus and pituitary diseases (growth hormone, prolactin, ACTH and cortisol, antidiuretic hormone diseases),
● Adrenal gland diseases (adrenal insufficiency, Cushing's disease, aldosterone hormone disorders),
● Metabolic bone diseases (osteoporosis, osteomalacia, Paget's disease),
● Cholesterol disorders,
● Hirsutism (excessive hair growth),
● Polycystic ovary syndrome,
● Testicular and ovarian dysfunction (hypogonadism, infertility, sexual dysfunction, sexual developmental disorders).
All kinds of endocrinological examinations can be performed in the Biochemistry laboratory in the hospital, and patients can receive regular diabetes training from a diabetes nurse who is a specialist in their field.