Those with kidney stones should not drink too much tea and coffee and should pay attention to their diet...
Emphasizing that kidney stone patients should pay attention to their nutrition, Yeditepe University Hospitals Nutrition and Diet experts said, “Nutrition is very important in kidney stone patients. However, since it is often neglected, the stone problem often recurs due to improper nutrition. "Especially in Turkey, the amount of tea, water, alcohol, salt and animal protein consumed are important factors," they say.
Should the Nutrition of Kidney Stone Patients Be Special?
Although genetic factors are very effective in kidney stones, we must try to delay this problem with environmental factors as well. Nutrition is very important for kidney stone patients. However, since it is often neglected, the stone problem often recurs due to improper nutrition. Especially in Turkey, the amount of tea, water, alcohol, salt and animal protein consumed are important factors.
What Should Kidney Stone Patients Pay Attention to in Their Nutrition?
The most common stone types in Turkey are calcium oxalate stones. For this reason, the amount of oxalate taken in the diet of kidney stone patients is of great importance. One of the most important factors in oxalate intake is black tea consumption. Black tea is very rich in oxalates, so it affects it directly. Excessive consumption of coffee other than tea, insufficient water consumption, excessive salt consumption, excessive intake of oxalate-rich vegetables and animal protein are factors that increase the risk.
Protein of animal origin, red plums and plums make the urine acidic and make it suitable for the collapse of oxalate stones. That's why we recommend animal source protein as much as possible, not exceeding the daily requirement. It is not appropriate to be insufficient, because the body needs protein and animal protein is the best used protein in the body.
Since vegetables generally contain high oxalates, we recommend vegetables with as low oxalates as possible. For example, the amount of oxalates is high in very dark green leafy vegetables. Vegetables such as spinach, purslane, beet, turnip, green beans and okra fall into this class. The amount is low in broccoli, Brussels sprouts and regular cabbage. We recommend that vegetables be boiled, drained, and cooked as much as possible, and that they be accompanied by a source of calcium (such as yoghurt, cheese, milk).
Among the fruits, red plum and plum produce acid. Oxalate stones precipitate much more easily in an acidic environment. Strawberries and kiwi are also fruits rich in oxalates. Lemonade and orange juice are among the drinks we recommend. Foods such as hazelnuts, peanuts and almonds are rich in oxalates. We advise our patients to reduce these; We want them to eliminate cocoa, cocoa drinks and cola completely, if possible.
Water consumption in kidney patients carries too much moisture. Especially when you examine the patient's history, we see that most of them do not consume enough water. Daily water consumption should be 2-2.5 liters, total liquid intake; We want it to be 3.7 liters for men and 2.7 liters for women.
We are not saying that you should eliminate salt from your life. Unless you have another disease, 6 grams of salt per day is sufficient for normal healthy individuals. We do not want additional salt or the use of salt shakers on the table.
What should be the daily amount of calcium that should be taken into the body?
Although it varies from person to person, it is recommended to take an average of 1000–1200 milligrams. This amount means 3 glasses of milk or yoghurt and two slices of cheese. It needs to be taken from all foods in a balanced manner. They need to take 100 percent of their daily recommended dosage. For this purpose, individual counseling must be obtained and the person must be guided according to his/her needs.
- 9 Tips to Enter the New Year Without Gaining Weight
- Don't Be Late Fighting Against Diseases
- How Should Those with Kidney Stones Eat?
- Special Nutrition Recommendations for the Eid
- Control Your Weight During the Holiday with Small Adjustments in Your Habits
- The True Face of the Protein Myth
- What Are the Benefits of Beets?
- Suggestions to Get Rid of the Menopause Belly
- Swallowable Gastric Balloon
- Why Are We Hungry at Night?
- Foods to Help Quench Your Thirst on Summer Days
- "Is the Watermelon Diet Healthy?
- Ways to Boost Mental Resilience
- Frequently Asked Questions about Detox
- Boost Your Immunity Naturally
- 8 Important Benefits of Dry Legumes
- Which Foods Should be Consumed Together?
- Nutrition Recommendations for Diabetes Patients
- Mushroom Poisoning
- Health Coming with Spring: Purslane
- Pay Attention When Consuming These Nutrients!
- What to Consider When Feeding Our Children in Hot Weather?
- 4 Tips to Boost Your Immunity in Seasonal Transitions
- Be Careful When Consuming Sage During Pregnancy
- It is Possible to Lose Weight by Dominating Your Brain
- Ways to Undergo Flu Easily
- 9 Points to Be Considered for a Healthy Ramadan Month!
- Emotional Eating May Be the Cause of Your Weight Gain
- 10 Tips to Help You Get Rid of Your Holiday Weight
- The Healthiest Summer Fruits
- Shining Star of the Tables: Probiotics
- Eating Calories In The Morning Saves Lives
- Recommendations to Strengthen the Immune System
- Ways to Deal with Quarantine Weight
- 8 Mistakes That Can Affect Your Immune System in Quarantine
- Burnout Syndrome at Work Gains Weight
- Healthy Recipes to Decorate Your New Year's Eve Table
- Children Should Be Away From Fast Food Toy
- Children's Eating While Studying Prepares the Ground for Obesity
- Permeable Bowel Syndrome Can Prepare the Ground for Diseases
- 6 Ways to Spend New Year's Eve Without Gaining Weight
- Suggestions to Prevent Children from Gaining Weight While Still
- 8 Suggestions to Keep the Immune System Strong in Ramadan
- It is also Possible to Lose Weight During the Holidays!
- Summer Recipes
- Immune Enhancing Nutrients
- 8 Mistakes That Make Weight Loss Harder
- Healthy New Year's Eve Table Suggestions
- Do not take unneeded calories to your body
- You May Have Leptin Resistance Below Your Constant Desire To Eat!
- Foods That Increase Blood Sugar
- The Nutritional Principle of the Feast of Sacrifice Should Be Balance
- Dumping Syndrome
- Suggestions to Increase Metabolic Rate…
- Suffering from Insomnia?
- Vitamin E Benefits
- Nutritional Guide to Strengthen Immunity
- Nutrition Recommendations Before the Exam
- How to Feed Children in Summer?
- Is There a Nutritional Difference Between Sports to Increase BMI and Sports to Lose Weight?
- What Should You Do to Avoid Gaining Weight for the Holidays? Do Not Be a Victim of the Buffet
- Experts Do not Recommend Food Sensitivity Tests
- Cancer and Nutrition
- Nutrition and Diet
- 10 Tips for Diet on Religious Holidays
- 5-Day Recovery Diet After the Religious Holidays
- Healthy Diet
- Alkaline Nutrition
- 9 Tips to Prevent You from Gaining Weight While at Home
- Nutrition in Celiac Disease
- 9 Suggestions to Fix Childrens Deteriorated Eating Habits
- What to do from Iftar to Sahur for a Healthy Ramadan
- 9 Tips for Proper Nutrition During Pregnancy
- Constant Feeling of Hunger Might Actually be Hiding Some Diseases!